Desperate Times, Desperate Measures and Despos
The premier institutes of engineering and technology in India namely the IITs are renowned not just for the brains of the country but also for the Romeos or the Forever Alones of the Indian subcontinent. Come to think of it, when you say IITians, either an unbidden image of a bespectacled nerd typing furiously on the computer comes to mind or a boy stealthily sifting through not-so-decent magazines in the secret confines of his hostel room. The latter image has been spawned by the recent portrayals of the students of IIT by movies like 3 Idiots or novels like Five Point Someone by the famed alumnus of IIT and the now flourishing author- Chetan Bhagat. Are the IITians really so desperate as they are made out to be?
Come Valentine’s Day and the social networking sites are flooded with posts and images and jokes related not just to the lovebirds and couples but also to the singles or the ones committed to no one in particular aka the Forever Alones of the society. Popular memes and jokes have been inspired by them and their desperateness for a relationship. The most common category of people who automatically fall in this domain are undeniably and undoubtably engineering students, among them IITians.
It is slightly weird that the composers of such jokes do not remember other elite colleges like BITS or NITs whose students are often way better than those of IITs (at least some of them). After all, brand name matters! Even in jokes apparently! If not IITians, the butt of such jokes often turn out to be a common category- engineering students, as if medical students or those studying for CA or those pursuing other courses do not study and do not have punishing schedules. Perhaps there is something different about the engineering despos.
So, let’s try to look at the situation in an algorithmic manner (the way an engineer probably would).
Why do engineers appear despos?
- Classes and practicals, classes and practicals, classes and practicals…the cycle only ends when one finishes with the course
- Tests and assignments, tests and assignments, tests and assignments… the cycle only ends when one finishes with the course
- Lack of communication skills
- Lack of girls in a technical course
- Even if there are girls, they are not seen as girls by their male counterparts
Now let’s find out the difference between general engineering despos and IITian despos:
- More classes and more practicals, more classes and more practicals, more classes and more practicals…the cycle only ends when one finishes with the course
- More tests and more assignments, more tests and more assignments, more tests and more assignments… the cycle only ends when one finishes with the course
- Glaring lack of communication skills
- Glaring lack of girls in a technical course
- Even if there are girls, they are never seen as girls by their male counterparts
You see, why IIT is famous for its desperados? Because IITians take the cake even when it’s a matter of failing to maintain a healthy social life. Challenge, thy name is IIT. IITians take up any and every challenge in their stride, be it searching for a relationship or a ‘half’-girlfriend (thank you Bhagat for your novel concepts that are obviously a product of your IITian mind). What with a motley of people hailing from a variety of places all over the country, IITs play alma mater to a wide variety of nerds and geeks and hence a wide variety of future Romeos and online stalkers, who have porn stacked on their hard drives and are on a constant look out for hot girls.